Friday 20 December 2013

BFI Trip

A few weeks ago I went on a trip to the BFI to hear some talks from an examiner and others from the film industry to help us with our opening title sequences.
It was really insightful to see work from a director who had a A-level in Media Studies, as it was inspiring to think it could be something we could do in the foreseeable future.

We also heard a talk from a senior examiner on how to create an excellent standard opening title sequence. I learnt what makes a good and bad sequence, and also what quality I would need to produce  to try and secure myself an A grade.

I learnt that there is an huge importance with planning, and that groups that had done a great amount of planning are more guaranteed to get a higher grade than those who don't.

We was shown that to produce a good quality of planning we'd need too,

  • Build skills
  • Build research
  • Planning
  • Brainstorm our ideas 
  • Recce shots of locations 
  • Take screen shots of the process
  • Create a 25 word pitch
  • Show evidence through out the whole process
I also found it very useful and exciting when we saw the opening sequence of 'Da' Vinci Demons' as the opening title sequence was unique and really interesting to watch as the drawing came a life and turned into titles. I also found it useful that we was told what program it was created in, as we have after effects at school, it could be something with a lot of dedicated and hard work that I could try and achieve.

I found the day really useful, I learnt what do's and don't there are when creating a title sequence, for example having an importance on audio and sound, needing to rehearse and direct, have a realistic expectation and make sure that we have a strong narrative.
I also learnt what not to do, for example not making the title sequence look like a trailer, having poor lighting, sound and direct actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment